Josie smiling

Josie smiling
One ear up and one ear down...my trademark look

Monday, January 11, 2010

The arrival of my puppy into my life...she has changed my life forever. How great is that?

As I child I was always lucky enough to grow up around all kinds of animals. I always had a cat (there were many, but only one at a time) and a beautiful German Shepherd named Hans. All of them, to this day, still hold a special place in my heart. But, nothing could prepare me for the love that I was about to encounter when my husband and I rescued a little puppy named Cassandra, who we quickly renamed Josie. We decided on Josie, because when we got her, we already had a family of 3 rescued cats, so in our home we have “Josie and the Pussycats”.

Josie and her brother and sisters were the products of two farm dogs in the Myrtle Beach area and she was the last of a litter of 5 puppies up for adoption on Mustardsandwich.net to find a home. Her picture was blurry and I wasn’t sure if she really had Border Collie in her (like they claimed), but I had quite a few good phone conversations with the woman who ran the rescue and had rescued the litter and felt she was caring for them exceptionally well.

My donation to adopt Josie went not only to have her delivered to my door, but also to have the parent dogs neutered and spayed, so I had no problems with the monetary donation to adopt her. And, remember, I still had not even met Josie.

On April 1st, 2007, she was hand delivered to our home at 1:00 in the afternoon. I will never forget that moment. She was 8 weeks old. She was sleeping as she was placed in my arms. She was calm. And she was so beautiful. She opened her eyes and met mine and my husband’s, sighed and went back to sleep. We never once had any potty accidents with her. She doesn’t bark or growl. She is the most loving, sweet, gentle, smart, sensitive dog and she rescued me and my husband. And she has the cutest ears ever. One ear up, one ear down.

Because of her, my life has opened up into a whole new world where I give my time voluntarily and I belong to a group of wonderful people called the Furry Angels. I have met some people I know I can call them BFF’s already. And they have dogs I love dearly who are just as kind and loving as their owners. When I bring her on her Therapy visits, she always makes people smile. She loves going on visits and is the consummate Therapy Dog, but she is always learning and can always improve. And so can I and we will do this together, we are a team. I love sharing her with people. And she loves being with people.

It has only been almost 3 years since she came into my life, but I cannot imagine my life without her. I plan on spending every moment I can with her because unfortunately these Furry Angels don’t live as long as us humans. Besides my husband, she is my soul mate....only wrapped in fur.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave woofs here!